Autodesk Desktop App Retirement
It’s that time of the year for Autodesk customers when new software is released, and changes are plentiful. I wanted to pass on some important information about changes to the Autodesk Desktop App that will affect most users with Autodesk software installed. The information below is provided from Autodesk.
The Autodesk Desktop App is a desktop component that is installed with Microsoft Windows-based Autodesk products (2017 and later). It delivers product updates, new releases, and security patches to subscribers. The Desktop App provides updates based on the status of the licenses. When a hotfix, service pack or security patch becomes available, the Autodesk Desktop App displays an alert in the desktop system tray.
Starting March 15, the Autodesk Desktop App (ADA) will be Autodesk Access, your new home for updating your desktop products.
Autodesk Access provides an exciting foundation for future capabilities to give customers more control and easier access to product updates.
You can get Autodesk Access in four ways starting March 15, 2023:
- With any new 2022 or later product installation after March 15th.
- As an automatic self-update of the Autodesk installer. This will be a progressive, percentage-based rollout ending around mid-May 2023.
- As an update to Autodesk Desktop App starting April 3, 2023.
- Direct download of the installer from the Access landing page (starting March 15).
Autodesk Access will provide:
- Continuous software updates, new features, and hot defect fixes to stay productive without interfering with your workflows
- Easy admin controls to disable user’s ability to install updates and new update notifications
- Enhanced security and better performance, reducing risk of downtime
If you are an administrator, please see the notice below.
Important notice: Once Autodesk Access is installed, users will be able to install updates if they have administrator rights. For customers in managed environments, we recommend that you set this registry key for your users before launch on March 15th, 2023. For more guidance, please see this support article.
- Create a new key in the HKCU/Software/Autodesk/ODIS folder.
- Key name: DisableManualUpdateInstall
- DWORD value: 1
Below are some helpful links for more information:
Introducing Autodesk Access – Autodesk Technology Manager Community
Autodesk desktop app | Install Autodesk products & updates
About the Autodesk Desktop App | AutoCAD | Autodesk Knowledge Network
How to disable users ability to install updates via Autodesk Access | AutoCAD | Autodesk Knowledge Network
As always, please feel free to reach out to your Tata Technologies representative for any questions you may have.