Whats new in Abaqus CAE 2020x
Its end of the year 2019 and just like any other prior year DS is ready with new release, both for standalone products as well as 3DX roles. Accordingly, we are ready with our blog series “what’s new in 2020”. So lets start with Abaqus CAE first. The later blog articles will include solver functionality enhancements as well.
- Partitioning enhancement: The partition method using sweet and extrude has been improved to include multiple disconnected edges at the same time. That means multiple partitions can be done in a single partition operation. Less clicks, less time.
- Global renumbering: It is now possible to define renumbering in assembly context. And that is true for both dependent and independent part instances. For large assemblies, the user now does not need to switch multiple times between part and assembly modules to perform renumbering. In case of dependent part instances, any renumbering performed on an instance is automatically propagated to associated part at part level mesh.
- Enhancement in query tool: The queries for points/nodes/distances can now be made with respect to a local coordinate system as well that can be a cartesian, cylindrical or spherical CS. Earlier only global cartesian CS was available for queries.
- Shrink fit possible in explicit: This is a BIG enhancement for our explicit users. Perhaps those users who have struggled with the convergence of shrink fit in standard would appreciate this feature. Earlier initial overclosures in explicit could only be adjusted strain-free thereby making explicit step ineffective for shrink fit. Now explicit step has option of treating initial overclosures as interference fit. This is applicable for both contact part as well as general contact inexplicit. Big relief.
- Hyperfoam test data evaluation: Computation of material coefficients using uniaxial and multiaxial test data has been a very useful feature of Abaqus CAE. However this functionality was limited to hyperelasticity and viscoelasticity. Now hyperfoam material evaluation can also be done using curve fitting techniques.
Enhancements in copying models: The copy model feature has been enhanced to include constraints as well. However, if constraints refer to named sets and surfaces, those sets and surfaces should exist in the target model.
BC/Load manager with color coded cells: Lastly, the looks and feel of BC, Load and interaction manager has been enriched by making it color coded as shown below. It matters if this manager has to be used in a simulation report.