Laser Scanning for “Integrator’s”
It’s all about Risk Mitigation. The quote you most often hear is “better as-built data leads to better designs”. It’s clear now that laser scanning is a better workflow vs field measuring. Frequent trips to get it right can’t replace one trip to get it right the first time. We always hear the devil is in the details and laser scanning, done right, records the details.
Field measurements, outdated documentation, delays, and travel time, all lead to inaccurate and late proposals. Once the proposal is accepted it’s up
to you to keep the project profitable. In some documented studies working from a laser scan has reduced rework to less than 2%.
Some benefits include:
• Provide access to the point clouds for all stakeholders, everyone is working from the same information
• Reduce the number of incidents from manual measurement errors.
• Reducing time onsite
• Fewer mismatches and design errors
• Advanced interference and clash detection for installations without onsite visits
• Consistent as-built documentation for design specifications
There is no doubt that working in 3D space is better than 2D alone. The issue has been getting to a 3D environment. Laser scanning provides this in an economical and timely manner.