NX Weld Assistant – Rivets
There is so much more to this command than welding. Not only is there a full range of weld types, but you can also model beads of adhesives, glue, and mastic as well as fasteners like rivets for example. Basically there are three categories in Weld Assistant for joining parts, they are: discrete welds, line welds, and adhesives. Normally a rivet is a type of fastener, but they are included as a custom weld in Weld Assistant.
In this post, let’s take a look at how to model rivets. We will create a custom spot weld to mimic a rivet. We will start by configuring a custom weld spot under File + Utilities + Customer Defaults.
- From the Customer Defaults window, select Weld Assistant + Point Locator and then select one of the Custom tabs.
- Set the Solid Display to Cylinder and give the custom Point Locator a name… Rivet for example.
- Set the other attributes accordingly, and then select OK to finish the configuration.
Now create a Rivet the same way you would create a Resistance Weld Spot.
- From the Weld Assistance command select Weld Point Wizard.
- From the Weld Point Wizard block:
- Select your Method
- Set the Type to the new custom Point Locator you just created (i.e. Rivet)
- Select Next.
- Select the Face Sets and then select Next
- Select the points you want to create Rivets at and then select Next.
- Select Finish to place the Rivets.
If the Rivets don’t show up at first, then select the Solid Weld Point Display option.
Key benefits to modeling welds in Cad include:
- Provides a key piece of information necessary for a complete Digital Twin.
- Mass properties inclusion (Weight and Volume).
- Easy to visualize.
- Easy to validate for correct location using Weld Advisor.
- Easy to convey information via a Drawing or PMI
- Available for inclusion into CAE analysis
- Available for process planning
- Available for robot programming
- Significant time savings compared to manual application of welds
- Having the ability to create and validate the Rivets in CAD ensures quality data is being sent to manufacturing thereby reducing the amount of rework.
To see how Tata Technologies can help your organization, visit our website www.tatatechnologies.com.
Or contact us for a demonstration.
Send us an email Marketing.NA@tatatechnologies.com